Location: Traverse City
Status (FT/PT): Full-Time
Shift: Day shift
Req ID: 54391
The HVACR Apprentice is responsible for the monitoring, repair, and maintenance of HVACR systems throughout the organization. Technicians complete their daily duties under the supervision of a licensed HVACR mechanic as they gain knowledge and progress through the program. All work is completed to meet Joint Commission and CMS standards for patient care.
High school diploma (GED or equivalent) required. Associates degree in HVACR desired.
MECH Senior Certified Healthcare Mechanic desired.
After completing three (3) years of working with a licensed HVACR Mechanic, apply for and obtain the following licenses listed in the Forbes Mechanical Contractors Act 192 of 1984:
- Hydronic heating and cooling and process piping
- HVAC Equipment
- Limited or unlimited heating service
- Limited or unlimited refrigeration and air conditioning service
Refrigerant Reclaiming Certificate Desired.
Minimum three (3) years general maintenance experience in commercial/industrial building required. Medical facility experience preferred.
Ability to read and interpret basic blueprints, schematics and sketches. Along with the ability to prepare “as-built” sketches for all jobs assigned.
Valid Michigan driver’s license required.
Physical requirements: must be able to lift medium loads (up to 50 pounds), climb, stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl occasionally (0-33% of the workday); and must be able to walk and handle materials frequently (34-66% of the workday).
This position reports to the Manager of Facilities Maintenance.
May direct activities of other Plant Engineering personnel assigned to assist with a specific job. May also be involved in on-the-job training of other classifications as requested by supervision.
- Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare.
- Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare with a focus on True North.
- Promotes personal and patient safety.
Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times.
- Works under normal and emergency conditions, giving appropriate consideration to patients, visitors, staff and property.
- Verifies work order requirements and completeness by communicating with requesting personnel or department.
- Troubleshoots equipment and system malfunctions in a logical manner leading to timely repair and return to normal service.
- Inspects, repairs, installs, tests and replaces systems based upon construction blueprints, verbal instructions or manufacturer literature.
- Performs preventive maintenance procedures for all types of HVAC equipment.
- Installs HVAC systems in a workmanlike manner and with methods meeting the National mechanical Code and commonly accepted practices for this trade.
- Complies with all State, Federal and local laws on CFC’s.
- Appropriately utilizes all common electrical test equipment.
- Properly selects overload protection for various single- and three-phase wiring systems.
- Produces as-built drawings showing valve locations and other pertinent information which will aid in future expansion or maintenance of the system.
- Conducts safety tests and inspections appropriately.
- Cleans and maintains work areas in a neat, orderly and safe condition.
- Prepares and submits reports and records of activities as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.