Bay Shore Pharmacy- Suttons Bay- Pharmacy Tech II
Location: Traverse City
Status (FT/PT): Full-Time
Shift: Day shift
Req ID: 54472
Description $3,000 Sign-On Bonus
SUMMARYLicensed pharmacy technicians will assist pharmacists in preparing and distributing medications, maintaining the drug inventory, and maintaining patient records. Licensed pharmacy technician will work only under the supervision of a registered pharmacist. They do not perform duties that can legally be performed only by a registered pharmacist. Licensed pharmacy technicians are part of the first line to providing safe high-quality pharmaceutical care to our patients. ENTRY REQUIREMENTSHigh school diploma (or G.E.D. equivalent), courses in chemistry and biology preferred. Pharmacy Technician License issued by the State of Michigan. One (1) year of pharmacy experience. Knowledge of how a retail pharmacy operates and functions is desirable. Basic knowledge of medications, medical nomenclature and ability to read physicians' orders. Typing 30 wpm minimum. Must have legible handwriting and/or printing. Numerical comprehension and mathematical skills. Ability to communicate verbally, comprehends verbal instructions, and has good telephone etiquette. Good vision, manual dexterity, and physical ability to withstand the majority of shift on feet while moving around. Experience with on-line computer systems, especially for retail pharmacy, is desirable. Experience with on-line insurance adjudication is desirable. General clerical skills. ORGANIZATIONThis position is under general supervision of the Pharmacy Coordinator, pharmacists, or MSI Manager. Daily activities are set forth but not limited by a responsibility list and monitored by general and direct supervision from the staff pharmacists on duty. All medications prepared or obtained for dispensing must be prepared under the supervision of and checked by a registered pharmacist. Has daily working contact with many other health care personnel from various practices. SPECIFIC DUTIES
- Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare.
- Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare with a focus on True North.
- Promotes personal and patient safety.
- Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times.
- Ability to tactfully and respectively interview patients, or family member, regarding prescriptions and insurance.
- Answers phone calls with skill, takes messages, and refers phone calls when appropriate.
- Maintains files and records in good order.
- Retrieves and processes Interactive Voice Response (IVR) (where applicable) and WebRx refill request promptly and efficiently.
- Enters prescriptions into computer system for dispensing, refill requests, and performs data entry and data retrieval.
- Performs general housekeeping continually to maintain a neat, clean, professional-appearing environment.
- Performs secretarial duties as requested.
- Performs counter/cash register and POS system duties.
- Performs inventory control, stocking, checking in and storage, which includes ordering, and fiscal inventory of medications in all areas of the Ambulatory Pharmacy Department.
- Rotates inventory; checks for and removes outdated or damaged merchandise and returns to vendor.
- Participates in annual inventories.
- Follows proper hand hygiene and abides with hand hygiene policies at all times, including cleaning hands between each patient room.
- Prepares pharmaceutical products for final check and dispensing by pharmacist.
- Performs third party billing, manual reconciliation of payments, and rebilling as necessary. Generates bills and records receipts of payment for merchandise sold.
- Attends required continuing education programs and MMC mandated inservice/education.
- Greet customers and perform intake function for prescription/service requests.
- Familiarity with patient care areas (inpatient and outpatient) to visit to educate patients about services and receive prescriptions.
- Assists in the training of new Pharmacy employees.
- Monitors fax line for physician faxes (refills approved, new prescriptions and transfers, etc.)
- Performs filling of Hospice medications and related documents, and maintains individual Hospice files of processed orders/records.
- Performs some secretarial-type and clerical-type duties such as record keeping, filing, billings, and accounts reconciliation.
- Processes required records for controlled substances. Reports any problems immediately to pharmacist.
- Assists in maintaining all Pharmacy records required for monitoring productivity and Quality Assurance programs including refrigerator temperature log when necessary.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.