Nutrition Assistant I - PRN
Location: Traverse City
Status (FT/PT): PRN
Shift: Day/PM shift
Req ID: 54647
- High school graduate or GED equivalent.
- Satisfactory completion of diet office/diet therapy training manual.
- Medical terminology class (or equivalent).
- Ability to work under elements of time pressure, noise, and frequent interruption of activities.
- Physical stamina to perform job duties including the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Two (2) years therapeutic foodservice experience (hospital, nursing home, etc.) required.
- Computer (Windows platform), PowerChart, and HealthTouch competence, or willing to receive training.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, phone courtesy, listening).
- Demonstrates the principles of ESP and hospitality services.
- Employees in relief positions maintain a reasonably flexible schedule.
- Certification as Dietetic Technician or RDE (Registered Dietitian Eligible to write the national exam) desirable but not mandatory.
Under the general supervision of the Patient Services Manager; receives direction from managers and dietitians.
Works closely with other Meal Service Attendants and other Food and Nutrition Services employees.
May interact frequently with patients and nursing staff.
Acts as liaison between patient, nursing, dietitians, kitchen, and Diet Office in Food and Nutrition matters.
Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
AGE OF PATIENTS SERVED
Cares for patients in the age category(s) checked below:
X Young adult (18 yr-25 yrs)
X Adult (26 yrs-54 yrs)
X Sr. Adult (55 yrs-64 yrs)
X Geriatric (65 yrs & above)
X Adolescence (13 yrs-17 yrs)
- Supports the Mission, Vision, and Values of Munson Healthcare.
- Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare.
- Promotes personal and patient safety.
- Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times.
For Nutrition Assistants covering positions A – B the following apply:
- Primarily responsible for performing final check of Room Service trays. Assures completion and accuracy of patient meal trays.
- Under the direction of managers and following established department policies, procedures, and standards, the Nutrition Assistant provides direction, coaching, and training to other trayline positions as needed.
- Provides temporary coverage to other trayline position for breaks during unexpected periods of high-volume.
- Maintains records and logs as assigned. This may include but is not limited to tray delivery logs and food/equipment temperature logs. Cleaning records. Takes appropriate action to correct problems identified.
- Assures all trayline printers are stocked with paper, and routine cleaning of printers and rollers.
- With adequate training may be offered shifts as Nutrition Assistant E,G, H.
For Nutrition Assistants covering positions C,D,F, the following apply:
- Properly identifies patients using 2 methods of identification, when calling for meals.
- Assists nursing in categorizing patients for participation in the Room Service program.
- Answers phone calls from patients and families. Using ESP and hospitality service guidelines and prepared scripts as necessary, converses with patients and families regarding food preferences. Provide accurate and succinct diet therapy education when needed and within scope of practice. Refer other questions to the appropriate person.
- Participates in the prioritization of patients for referral to the Registered Dietitians according to the Standards for Nutritional Care. Applies to Nutrition Assistants performing the dietitian update. Currently, selected Nutrition Assistants performing positions C or H.
- Follows established guidelines for calculating and tracking fluid restrictions, grams of protein, and carbohydrate servings.
- Corrects and enters paper menus for Center One and Rehab.
- Maintains stock of Center One and Rehab menus and replaces/replenishes as needed.
- Reviews computer printouts for tracking and follow-up with patients who have not called for food during a given meal-period according to department policy.
- Keeps accurate records of services rendered according to department policy. Some information may be handwritten and some will be computer generated.
- Actively supports and participates in Quality Assurance activities, including but not limited to tray assessments, Gold Checks, meal rounds, sanitation checklists, satisfaction surveys, tray accuracy reports, and department committees.
- With adequate training may be offered shifts as Nutrition Assistant A – B.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Utilizes established criteria for reviewing all in-patients for R.D. assessment and follow up.
- Sets up newly ordered calorie counts for R.D.s
- Reviews all Powerchart orders to be sure they are complete and translates into HealthTouch.