The Munson Healthcare Recovery Coach is a member of the behavioral health team and works with patients with Substance-Use Disorders who have been referred throughout Munson Healthcare facilities. The Recovery Coach is responsible for supporting and assisting patients to navigate treatment options and build recovery supports in the early stages of recovery.
High school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
At least two continuous years in Substance Use Disorder recovery and have a willingness to share their recovery story as a tool in helping others.
Either possess the Michigan Department of Health/Human Services (MDHHS) Recovery Coach certification and/or the ability to obtain certification within 90 days of hire. CCAR Recovery Coach certification prior to 2018 may be considered in lieu of MDHHS Certification.
Either posses or obtain the Michigan Board of Addiction Professionals “Certified Peer Recovery Mentor” Certification within 12 months of hire.
Additional training requirements within 90 days of hire include Ethical Considerations (16 hours), Intro to Recovery Advocacy (12 hours), and Recovery Coaching and Professionalism (12 hours)
Either posses or obtain the Michigan Community Health Worker Certification/Internship with 24 months of hire.
Preferred personal experience in navigating complex Substance Use Disorders, co-occurring disorder(s) systems of care and how to navigate those systems.
- Reports to the Outpatient Behavioral Health Manager and/or designee.
AGE OF PATIENTS SERVED
Cares for patients in the age category(s) checked below:
Neonatal (birth-1 mo) x Young adult (18 yr-25 yrs)
Infant (1 mo-1 yr) x Adult (26 yrs-54 yrs)
Early childhood (1 yr-5 yrs) x Sr. Adult (55 yrs-64 yrs)
Late childhood (6 yrs-12 yrs) x Geriatric (65 yrs & above)
Adolescence (13 yrs-17 yrs) All ages (birth & above)
No direct clinical contact with patients
- Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare.
- Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare with a focus on True North.
- Promotes personal and patient safety with all behaviors.
- Follow all HIPPA and Federal Confidentiality laws (42CFR) in relation to Substance Use Disorder patient care.
- Adhere and follow all Michigan Department of Health & Human Services Code of Ethics for Peer Recovery Coaching.
- Strong subject matter expert in recovery and ability to incorporate their own lived recovery experience into their work.
- Ability to encourage, support, and motivate others seeking recovery & recovery supports with an openness to all recovery pathways.
- Provide recovery coaches services directly with patients in outpatient, healthcare, and community settings. Coach service interventions to also include telehealth sessions, phone sessions, and in-person visits.
- Ability to work autonomously with patients, throughout the behavioral health clinic, in Munson Medical Center, and within the community as a representative of Munson.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form. This includes completion of recovery and patient care documentation within department timeframes.
- Demonstrate patience and tact when working with patients, families, and members of the healthcare team. Maintains a professional working relationship with staff members, ancillary services, and medical staff.
- Ability to understand language of illicit and high-risk drug use and drug culture while communicating the current language of recovery.
- Ability to effectively use technology for interfacing with the different electronical health records, telehealth platforms, and health record navigation.
- Demonstrate independent professional judgment, decision-making, and ethical standards in patient-care situations.
- Effectively manage crisis situations and support safe patient care. Follow all Clinic and Munson Healthcare safety procedures and policies. Seek supervision, consultation when needed.
- Represent the voice of lived recovery experience as an expert and advocate within the Munson Healthcare organization and at external community provider meetings.
- Directs own continuous learning education activities and keep skills current, expand knowledge base and comply with certifications and required activities.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.