OR 1st Assist/General Surgery Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Physician Assistant (PA)
This job posting is no longer active.
Status (FT/PT): Full-Time
Shift: Day shift
Req ID: 54854
- Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan.
- Master of Science degree in Nursing and is ANCC or ACNP board certified as a Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS), Master of Health Science (MHS) or Master of Medical Science (MMSc) and is board certified as a Physician Assistant
Required: Experience in the acute care setting, outpatient setting - specifically surgical services.
Prefer: Experience in the operating room as a first assist, surgical assistant or surgical technologist.
Candidate must apply for and be granted clinical privileges through MMC’s normal credentialing processes before rendering services.
Is a self-directed professional with the ability to make independent judgments in providing direct patient care/surgical first assist and coordinates hospital care for general surgery patients.
Demonstrates computer skills and willingness to learn necessary health IT applications that promote maximum clinical efficiency.
Reports to Reports to the Manager of Surgical Services - Cadillac
Provides direction to RNs, LPNs, Medical Assistants, and other staff as appropriate.
Works collaboratively with all physicians involved in patient care and all members of the patient care team.
- Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare.
- Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare with a focus on True North.
- Promotes personal and patient safety.
- Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times.
- This is a self-directed professional practitioner with the ability to make independent judgments in providing direct patient care.
- Attends CME seminars and conferences to maintain licensure and currency in field.
- Admit patients to the hospital, perform daily rounds, write orders, daily progress notes, discharge summaries, etc.
- Pre & post op education and teaching with patient and family.
- Prescribe both pharmacologic agents (pre & post-op), and non-pharmacologic therapies (ie: PT, OT, NST, etc.).
- Order/interpret diagnostic imaging and tests/labs.
- Coordinate care provided by multiple specialists including surgeons, hospitalist providers, cardiology, urology, nursing staff, etc.
- Diagnosis and comprehensive patient assessment and management.
- Complete patient FMLA, return to work, other forms as needed.
OR 1st Assist –
- First assist surgeons in operating room daily with scheduled and add-on surgical cases.
- Assist OR coordinators with correct case card selection/supply/equipment needs.
- Assist OR circulating RN and surgical tech with appropriate supplies and equipment/flow of surgical cases to enhance efficiency.
- Pre & post-op order placement/management.
- Performs comprehensive patient assessments in the ambulatory setting, including history and physical examinations, surgery consultation, routine office follow up care, and post-operative care.
- Orders diagnostic tests, such as echocardiograms, stress tests (exercise or pharmacologic), x-rays, ECG’s, laboratory tests, and interprets test result.
- Prescribes pharmacologic and other therapeutic treatment for the benefit of patient health.
- Performs therapeutic procedures, as needed, including post-procedure wound care.
Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.