Referral Coordinator - Neurosurgery
This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Traverse City
Status (FT/PT): Full-Time
Shift: Day shift
Req ID: 55041
This position manages referrals both into and out of the clinic, including prior authorizations, referral and diagnostic tracking, and other communication. This role also ensures that diagnostic is scheduled and completed. This role serves as the first point of contact for incoming referral questions from patients and/or offices and supports the front desk in answering general phone calls as needed. This role requires superior customer relationship skills and the proven ability to communicate effectively and accurately, both verbally and in writing with all levels. The ideal candidate has the ability to operate under frequently stressful conditions due to constantly changing requirements of healthcare and is able to adapt by embracing and supporting change as necessary to obtain operational and performance efficiencies.
Associate’s degree in Health Services Administration or related field; and at least three (3) years’ experience in related field with advancing experience.
In lieu of an Associate’s Degree, candidate must have 5 years of experience in health care.
Knowledge of MHC’s automated information systems, such as Cerner, PWS, Microsoft products, and E Clinical Works, preferred.
Experience with Excel
This position reports to the Manager.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requires that individuals access, use and disclose the minimum patient information necessary for the individual to perform his or her job duties. This position's access to information systems will be based on job duties and reasonably limited to the minimum information necessary for the position to carry out its duties. Employees are authorized to access health information only when necessary to do their work and only when on duty.
- Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare.
- Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare with a focus on True North.
- Promotes personal and patient safety.
- Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times.
- Has basic understanding of Relationship-Based Care (RBC) principles, meets expectations outlined in Commitment To My Co-workers, and supports RBC unit action plans.
- Demonstrates adherence to all policies and procedures.
- Maintains the ability to hold in confidence any information that is confidential in matter.
- Works independently and prioritizes projects and timelines within a flexible schedule.
- Must be able to work with a team in order to accomplish and implement goals within a dynamic practice environment.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, the Organizational Integrity Program, Code of Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
- Assumes accountability for on time delivery of assigned projects.
- Takes responsibility to identify and develop skills necessary to meet requirements of the role and to better identify ways to streamline processes and improve patient satisfaction.
- Communicates effectively with patients, staff and physicians to ensure clear understanding of initiatives and implementation process.
- Engages and collaborates with patients, families, staff, and providers within the office and the greater community, as applicable, to intake referrals and process referrals out of the office in a manner which creates and promotes a professional image, including outstanding telephone courtesy, pleasantness, and the ability to keep their composure and the use of judgment and tact in dealing with others.
- Manages the timely scheduling of testing for patients for high and low tech imaging, as well as any requirements that relate to that testing.
- Identifies ways to streamline the referral process to increase the efficiency of the process and to increase the timeliness of referrals both into and out of the office, thereby increasing patient satisfaction and improving patient care.
- Completes all prior authorizations in a timely manner as required by individual insurances. Additionally, identifies how prior authorizations can be managed more effectively in a more efficient manner.
- Serves as a back-up for front office staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned