Medical Lab Technician
This job posting is no longer active.
Status (FT/PT): Full-Time
Shift: Night shift
Req ID: 43072
Sign on Bonus available $10,000
Accurately and efficiently perform, assess, correlate and interpret routine and specialized clinical laboratory tests in compliance with departmental procedures and applicable regulations. Maintain a fundamental knowledge of all clinical laboratory departments and have the ability to rotate through all departments. Operate, maintain and troubleshoot instrumentation to meet quality assurance parameters.
A Bachelor’s degree in Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology or related degree.
Registered Medical Technologist / Medical Laboratory Scientist with the American Society of Clinical Pathologists or equivalent.
Nationally recognized certification or eligible (ASCP) as a MT(ASCP), MLS (ASCP) or CLS (ASCP). Must be certified within 12 months of hire and recertify if/as required.
Under direct supervision of manager, director, section head; also may receive instruction from medical directors.
- Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare
- Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare with a focus on True North.
- Meets expectations outlined in Commitment To My Co-workers. Demonstrates ability to communicate effectively and work in a team setting
- Performs routine and special clinical laboratory tests in assigned sections of the clinical laboratory, utilizing automated and non-automated equipment.
- Assesses results with respect to quality control, reviews results for accuracy, and communicates results of test performed to physicians and other authorized personnel.
- Communicates problems or matters of a scientific, technical and/or administrative nature both within the department and interdepartmentally.
- Analyzes and evaluates laboratory test results to determine inconsistent results and takes appropriate action. Recognizes abnormal test results and answers inquiries about them, the methodology, specificity, and sensitivity; answers questions about specific factors that can influence test results
- Maintains accurate records of tests conducted, results, data and patients tested including calculation of results from supplied data, obtained data and statistics for quality assurance. Assists with accreditation readiness activities.
- Maintains equipment in operational condition through making minor adjustments, performing scheduled maintenance, and troubleshooting major problems utilizing departmental resources and manufacturer’s telephone trouble lines.
- Provides instruction in basic theory, laboratory technique, instrumentation, and application of laboratory test procedures to new scientists or technicians and students.
- Performs related duties such as obtaining blood specimens, processing specimens, and clerical activities. Assists leaders in development of technical procedures and protocols.
- Maintains clean and efficient work area and replenishes supplies as necessary.
- Prioritizes workload to maximize efficiency while meeting patient and physician needs.
- Helps evaluate new techniques and procedures in terms of space and personal requirement, method comparison, cost analysis, and the establishment of reference intervals; writes and revises technical procedures
- Ability to cover various shifts if needed
- Other duties as assigned