Sr Health Information Clerk
Location: Traverse City
Status (FT/PT): Full-Time
Shift: Day shift
Req ID: 55773
The primary role of the Senior Health Information Clerk is to manage the life cycle of the legal medical after patient discharge. Performs retrospective record analysis to ensure all information is complete and in accordance with regulatory and hospital requirements. Assists with processing birth and death certificates, and is a point of contact for Advance Care Planning documentation verification. Provides general clerical assistance.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Secondary level courses in medical or business programs are preferred.
- A minimum of one year clerical experience preferably in healthcare, but not required.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office and general internet usage.
- Experience in any of these applications is preferred: PowerChart, Kofax scanning, Electronic Birth Certificate, Dolbey transcription/dictation system.
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Multi-task with extreme attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Within the first 6 months of HIM employment, successful completion of basic Medical Terminology and customer relations education (e.g. AIDET or approved nThrive course) will be required.
Reports to the manager of Health Information Management.
POPULATIONS SERVED COMPETENCIES, INCLUDING AGE OF PATIENTS SERVED
No direct clinical contact with patients.
- Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare.
- Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare.
- Promotes personal and patient safety.
- Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times.
- Retrieves discharged medical records and loose documentation from patient care areas and performs chart preparation, scanning, indexing and quality analysis.
- Analyzes medical records of discharged patients for completeness and accuracy according to hospital policy and regulatory requirements.
- Advance Care Planning document processing.
- Birth certificate processing.
- Death certificate processing.
- Coordinates the retrieval of medical records from storage.
- Answers and directs telephone calls in a polite and informative manner.
- Performs quality improvement activities as requested.
- Cross trains to assist with workloads.
- Assists with training of new employees.
- Attends meetings as scheduled and assigned.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.