Location: Traverse City
Status (FT/PT): PRN
Shift: Day shift
Req ID: 55946
The Nurse Technician (NT) role is an opportunity to enhance knowledge and gain clinical skills.
Working in collaboration with the health care team, the NT provides additional support to the Registered Nurse (RN) and acts as a resource for the Nursing Assistant (NA).
Student nurse actively enrolled in a state approved school of nursing who has completed his/her junior year of a bachelor’s degree in nursing curriculum or completion of the first year of an associate’s degree in nursing curriculum.
Effective verbal and written communication skills.
Maintains Basic Life Support certification.
ORGANIZATION: Works under the general supervision of the Unit Manager and performs direct patient care activities under the delegation and supervision of a RN.
1. Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare.
2. Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare with a focus on True North.
3. Promotes personal and patient safety.
4. Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times.
5. Contributes to the goals of True North by: Using effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times to enhance the patient experience
Maintaining professional working relationship with the entire health care team
Working within the guidelines of nursing and hospital standards of practice, policies and procedures
Assisting with regulatory readiness and unit goals
Adhering to safety behaviors
Impacting quality by advocating for and performing appropriate interventions (to prevent falls, hospital-acquired pressure injuries (HAPIs), catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTIs), and central line associated bloodstream infections (CLABSIs)
Ensuring optimum utilization of personnel, supplies, and equipment Facilitating the throughput of patients
6. Recognizes and reports pertinent changes in health care status of patients to a RN.
7. Required duties will follow that of a Nursing Assistant. Additional duties may include the following, provided the student has completed the training in nursing school: Indwelling Foley catheter insertion or straight cath/bladder scans
Removal of sutures/staples, as directed by RN after RN assessment of wound
Removal of peripheral IV lines (not PICC lines)
Assist RN with routine dressing changes
Colostomy care/ileostomy care
Obtain 12-lead ECGs (unit specific)
Provides assistance with admission, transfer and discharge procedures
8. These tasks should be completed under the direction of an RN, adhering to Lippincott Procedures and current policies.
Observes, records, and reports pertinent information accurately and promptly.
Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
Assists with the medication storage, stocking, transportation, and checking of expiration dates as delegated.
9. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.