We improve lives, join our team!
Full-time Monday – Friday, 8am to 5pm, No after-hours or weekend Call duties
This position is specifically to work in the inpatient setting in a specialty palliative medicine clinic at Munson Medical Center. Join a specialty multidisciplinary palliative medicine team led by fellowship-trained, board certified hospice and palliative medicine physicians. Works with a motivated and collegial palliative care team that includes physicians, advance practice providers, clinical staff, and a dedicated social worker and psychotherapist. This position and team are supported by administrative leadership that has made possible the successful growth of this multidisciplinary palliative care team.
Qualified candidates will have a strong foundation of medical knowledge across many disciplines to meet the symptom management and palliative care needs of patients with a variety of serious illness diagnoses, including cancer, heart disease, lung disease, kidney disease, dementia and neurodegenerative conditions. Qualified candidates will deliver high quality complex symptom management, and have a strong skill set in effective communication to lead and guide advance care planning and goals of care counseling discussions with patients and their caregivers.
Munson Healthcare offers a comprehensive benefits package to meet your financial, health and life-work balance goals.
- Competitive compensation and full benefits
- 401(k) matching
- Continuing education credits
- Health and dental insurance
- Malpractice insurance
- Generous paid time off, holidays and flexible scheduling
- Our employees receive special discounts on a wide range of products and services
- Exceptional health, dental, vision and prescription drug insurance plans
- Student loan repayment eligible
- Relocation assistance
- Savings & retirement plans, disability insurance, identify theft protection and even home and auto insurance
STANDARDS OF CARE
- Medically manage complex pain and other symptoms related to a patient’s serious life-threatening illness, including cancer-related pain, nausea, shortness of breath, fatigue, poor appetite, constipation, and situational anxiety and depression using best practices (i.e., evidence-based practice)
- Obtain relevant health and medical histories from patients and/or caregivers
- Perform physical exams appropriate for age and history
- Identify medical and health risks and needs
- Provide appropriate prognostication for patients
- Formulate the appropriate plan of care based on history, physical exam, clinical findings and any diagnostic findings
- Elicit a patient’s priorities, values, and goals of care to help guide and direct a goal-concordant medical care plan
- Collaborate and communicate frequently and effectively with a patient’s other medical providers and specialists
- Identify non-pharmacologic interventions and prescribe non-pharmacologic therapies; identify pharmacologic interventions and prescribe pharmacologic therapies to provide effective complex symptom management
- Provide relevant patient education
- Make appropriate referrals to physicians and other health professionals and community agencies
- Serve as an educational resource for ancillary staff and rotating professional learners
- Complete and maintain written electronic records in a timely fashion and in compliance with MHC standards
- Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare.
- Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson
- Promotes personal and patient safety.
- Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times.
- Acknowledges safety is a self-responsibility. Knows physical requirements of the job and works within those guidelines. Performs job duties safely at all times. Plans actions to promote safety. Reports any unsafe situation/equipment according to hospital procedure.
- As a health care provider, the Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant works in conjunction with their physicians in providing a full spectrum of specialty palliative care services to their assigned patients. The primary responsibility of the nurse practitioner or physician assistant is to promote quality of life and provide goal-concordant care aligned with patients’ values and preferences for care.
- When appropriate, assists in providing education and information to patients about advance medical directives and hospice care benefits.
- Maintains visibility within the community as a health care provider. Serves as a role model to clinic staff, faculty, and the community at large.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education / Training:
- Master's Degree in Nursing OR a Masters in Physician Assistant studies
- New grads welcome to apply!
Certification, Licensure, Registration:
- State of Michigan Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant license required
- BCLS Certified
- Candidate must apply for and be granted applicable clinical privileges through MHC’s credentialing processes before rendering services
- Good judgment and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to make quality, independent medical decisions.
- Time management and organizational skills.
ABOUT MUNSON HEALTHCARE
Munson Healthcare is northern Michigan’s largest and leading healthcare system. Our team of medical experts, award-winning hospitals, and related organizations serve people in 30 counties. Munson Healthcare is comprised of regional referral center Munson Medical Center (Traverse City) and 7 community hospitals: Cadillac Hospital (Cadillac), Charlevoix Hospital (Charlevoix), Grayling Hospital (Grayling), Kalkaska Memorial Health Center (Kalkaska), Manistee Hospital (Manistee), Otsego Memorial Hospital (Gaylord), and Paul Oliver Memorial Hospital (Frankfort). Across the system there are 694 licensed acute care beds and 212 licensed long-term care beds. Most of the region’s 540,000 residents can receive comprehensive quality care in or near their local community with access to sophisticated diagnostic technology such as 3D tomography, advanced cancer and heart treatments, and the latest robotic technology, stereotactic radiosurgery, and non-invasive surgical procedures.
After a great day at work, nature’s playground is waiting for you right outside the door. Located near the 45th parallel, Traverse City is an official “Coast Guard City” and sits at the base of twin bays – West Grand Traverse Bay and East Grand Traverse Bay. It has award-winning schools, a community college, and a busy airport with daily service to major cities. Traverse City is a thriving community offering unequaled year-round recreation, as well as vibrant cultural and social opportunities often found in much larger cities. Traverse City is one of America’s “must see” places for family vacations, fine arts, local craft beer and wine, farm-to-table food, fun festivals (including the National Cherry Festival), sailing, golf, hiking, skiing, fishing, and miles of pristine freshwater shoreline.
As a non-profit healthcare system, Munson Healthcare provides more than $60 million annually in:
- Community Education
- Free, discounted and unreimbursed healthcare services
- Healthcare programs
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer