Nutrition Assistant - PRN
Location: Traverse City
Status (FT/PT): PRN
Shift: Day/PM shift
Req ID: 57190
**PRN, variable hours
Find more than your next job. Find your community.
- We’re northern Michigan’s largest healthcare system and we are deeply rooted in the communities we serve. That means that our patients are often our family, friends and neighbors – and it’s special to be able to care for them. And as one of the top healthcare systems to work for in Michigan by Forbes (American’s Best Employers by State 2022), we’re committed to your ongoing growth and development.
- After work, you’ll find things to do in every season – beaches, outdoor recreation, unique restaurants, world-class wineries, arts and entertainment.
For Nutrition Assistants covering positions A – B the following apply:
- Primarily responsible for performing final check of Room Service trays. Assures completion and accuracy of patient meal trays.
- Under the direction of managers and following established department policies, procedures, and standards, the Nutrition Assistant provides direction, coaching, and training to other trayline positions as needed.
- Provides temporary coverage to other trayline position for breaks during unexpected periods of high-volume.
- Maintains records and logs as assigned. This may include but is not limited to tray delivery logs and food/equipment temperature logs. Cleaning records. Takes appropriate action to correct problems identified.
- Assures all trayline printers are stocked with paper, and routine cleaning of printers and rollers.
- With adequate training may be offered shifts as Nutrition Assistant E,G, H.
For Nutrition Assistants covering positions C,D,F, the following apply:
- Properly identifies patients using 2 methods of identification, when calling for meals.
- Assists nursing in categorizing patients for participation in the Room Service program.
- Answers phone calls from patients and families. Using ESP and hospitality service guidelines and prepared scripts as necessary, converses with patients and families regarding food preferences. Provide accurate and succinct diet therapy education when needed and within scope of practice. Refer other questions to the appropriate person.
- Participates in the prioritization of patients for referral to the Registered Dietitians according to the Standards for Nutritional Care. Applies to Nutrition Assistants performing the dietitian update. Currently, selected Nutrition Assistants performing positions C or H.
- Follows established guidelines for calculating and tracking fluid restrictions, grams of protein, and carbohydrate servings.
- Corrects and enters paper menus for Center One and Rehab.
- Maintains stock of Center One and Rehab menus and replaces/replenishes as needed.
- Reviews computer printouts for tracking and follow-up with patients who have not called for food during a given meal-period according to department policy.
- Keeps accurate records of services rendered according to department policy. Some information may be handwritten and some will be computer generated.
- With adequate training may be offered shifts as Nutrition Assistant A – B.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Utilizes established criteria for reviewing all in-patients for R.D. assessment and follow up.
- Sets up newly ordered calorie counts for R.D.s
Why work as a Nutrition Assistant at Munson Healthcare?
- Our dynamic work environment includes many opportunities for growth and development
- We serve diverse customers, including patient meals and café meals, catering both inside and outside of the facility.
- Our efforts directly impact patient satisfaction and outcomes
- Our employees work in positive, supportive, and compassionate environments built on our organizational values.
- Two (2) years therapeutic foodservice experience (hospital, nursing home, etc.) required.
- Satisfactory completion of diet office/diet therapy training manual.
- Ability to work under elements of time pressure, noise, and frequent interruption of activities.
- Physical stamina to perform job duties including the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Computer (Windows platform), PowerChart, and HealthTouch competence, or willing to receive training.