Nursing Services Patient Care Technician - Full Time (Day/Night), Manistee, MI
Status (FT/PT): Full-Time
Req ID: 57342
Under the general supervision of the clinical manager or designee, and the direct delegation of the RN, the patient care tech provides basic nursing care to patients and assists with more complex patient care. Performs related clerical and service duties. Specific duties vary according to assigned unit.
- Level of knowledge equivalent to that ordinarily acquired through completion of high school.
- Nursing assistant certification and/or completion of nursing assistant training program is preferred.
- BLS certification required and must be obtained within 60 days of employment.
- Prior patient care experience preferred.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Clerical ability as well as visual, hearing and sensory touch acuity necessary to assess patients' condition and accurately document patient related data.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to frequently interact in a courteous manner with patients, family members, physicians, nursing staff, visitors and other departmental personnel.
- Ability to accurately perform simple calculations and record results.
- Please check the appropriate health and safety requirements:
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under the supervision of the RN provides basic nursing care:
- Assists patients with or performs activities of daily living including bathing, mouth care, dressing, ambulating, etc.
- Delivers and collects meal trays from patients, assists with feeding as necessary.
- Reports and records in Meditech dietary intake, including fluids.
- Performs basic clinical functions as delegated by the RN.
- Promptly responds to call lights and requests for assistance.
- Performs and records diagnostic testing per competency assessment.
- Performs blood glucose monitoring, straining urinary output, performs enemas, collects specimens for testing, bladder scanning.
- Responsible for assisting with pre and post operative care.
- Cares for isolation patients using standard isolation practices.
- Responsible for assisting with patient admission, discharge, transfers and transport.
- Observes and communicates patient condition to the RN.
- Shares responsibility for maintaining the general neatness of the patient care environment.
- Greets and directs visitors on unit.
- Responsible for cleaning equipment, washing instruments, replacing supplies, making beds and assisting with cleaning rooms, as necessary.
- Assists in the preparation of the various requisitions and requests for services, paper and computer.
- Prepares and forwards charge slips for items and services chargeable to patient, as appropriate.
- Maintains an orderly work environment.
- Performs job responsibilities in an ethical, compliant manner consistent with the organization's values and the Hospital's Corporate Compliance program, policies, procedures and protocols.
- Applies Performance Improvement concepts and methods throughout related activities.
- Encourages team members and works in a safe and healthy manner to prevent injury or illness.
- Presents professional demeanor and appearance.
- Performs other related duties as requested.