Sr Coder Abstractor - Remote
Status (FT/PT): Full-Time
Shift: Day shift
Req ID: 58596
Find more than your next job. Find your community.
- We’re northern Michigan’s largest healthcare system and we are deeply rooted in the communities we serve. That means that our patients are often our family, friends and neighbors – and it’s special to be able to care for them. And as one of the top healthcare systems to work for in Michigan by Forbes (American’s Best Employers by State 2022), we’re committed to your ongoing growth and development.
- After work, you’ll find things to do in every season – beaches, outdoor recreation, unique restaurants, world-class wineries, arts and entertainment.
Why work as a Coder Abstractor at Munson Healthcare?
- Flexible remote work schedule
- Our dynamic work environment includes many opportunities for growth and development
- Our efforts directly impact patient satisfaction and outcomes
- Our employees work in positive, supportive, and compassionate environments built on our organizational values.
The facility Senior Coder/Abstractor is a critical member of the Revenue Cycle Team and is responsible for coding and abstracting inpatient and complex outpatient medical records for performance improvement, statistical research, administrative, and facility reimbursement purposes.
Coding is performed using utilizing ICD10-CM, ICD10-PCS and CPT-4 classification systems and is subject to the Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, AHIMA Code of Ethics “Standards of Ethical Coding”, AHA Coding Clinic and technical rules outlined by hospital guidelines.
The Senior Coder/Abstractor works closely with the Coding Analyst, Clinical Documentation Integrity Specialists, and the Regional Coding Operations Coordinator. Required qualities include teamwork, ability to code various patient types for a variety of Munson facilities, and flexibility in handling work assignments while maintaining productivity and quality standards. This position supports the timely and accurate submission of facility claims and works to achieve or exceed the established Accounts Receivable goals for the department.
- Associate or Bachelor Degree in Health Information. CCS certification with a minimum of 2 years coding experience will be considered.
- Certification as a Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) is required. New graduates must obtain certification as Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT), or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) within 12 months of hire date.
- One to three years’ previous experience using ICD10-CM, ICD10 PCS and CPT-4 coding systems is required.
- Demonstrated ability to meet productivity and quality standards is required.
- Keyboard entry skills are required.
The Benefits of Working at Munson:
- Eligible for a $5,000 Sign on Bonus
- Competitive salaries
- Full benefits, paid holidays, and paid time off (up to 19 days your first year)
- Tuition reimbursement and ongoing educational opportunities
- Retirement savings plan with employer match and personal consulting
- Wellness plans, an employee assistance program and employee discounts
*Terms and conditions apply